Student Librarian – Tauranga City Libraries
Four part-time, fixed-term positions are available. 6 weeks (13th December 2019 – 20th January 2020)
Tauranga City Libraries are part of the Tauranga City Council Community Services department.
Therefore we aim to meet the changing information, recreation and learning needs of the community, and to grow the utilization of the library collections.
So We have an exciting opportunity for four enthusiastic, confident, out-going students to join our libraries team.
During the Summer months, we run the Summer Reading Programme, a program for children aged 5-10 years old, and a tween/teen equivalent for ages 11-18.
However, Student Librarians will be employed to support the running of this program and to undertake general library duties at each of our Tauranga City Libraries.
The four positions available:
Tauranga Central Library – 29 hours per week – Monday & Friday (9:15-5:45), Saturday & Sunday (9:15-4:15)
Pāpāmoa Library – 29 hours per week – Monday & Friday (9:15-5:45), Saturday & Sunday (9:15-4:15)
Greerton Library – 28 hours per week – Monday & Friday (9:15-5:15), Saturday & Sunday (9:15-4:15)
Mount Maunganui Library – 21.5 hours – Monday & Friday (9:15-5:15), Saturday (9:15-4:15)
In your cover letter please specify which library you would like to apply for. Applying for multiple libraries is allowed.
- Talk with children, tweens, and teens about books they have read
- Also, Deliver various activities for children in the library
- Program resource preparation
- Utilize library software to fulfill customer requests
- Accurate input of participant data into a digital platform
- Offer advice on reading material for children
- Help ensure library presentation is tidy and welcoming
- Book shelving duties to ensure a tidy and easy to navigate the library
- NCEA Level One
- Experience working with children and teens preferred
- Outgoing and confident
- Positive and approachable
- Good level of computer skills
- Able to self-manage and take initiative
- Flexibility as the work will be varied
For more information, refer to the detailed position description attached.
Applications close 29th September 2019
Tauranga City Council is committed to the protection and well being of children in the community. A key part of this role involves working with children so, as part of our assessment of candidates, we conduct Police Vetting prior to employment to ensure we continue to provide a safe environment. This requirement complies with the Vulnerable Children’s Act 2014 and you can find out more about our safety process check here
Posted on20 Sep 2019
Closes on29 Sep 2019 23:55
Location(s)CBD, CBD Library, Greerton Library, Mount Library, Papamoa Library
ExpertiseCommunity services and Development, Customer service and contact center
Job level(s)Entry, Student, Graduate
Work type(s)Fixed-term part-time